Sunday, September 03, 2006

First graders say the darndest things

Of all the things going on this week, the most exciting part for me was finally getting to meet the first graders with whom I will be working this year. I am fortunate enough to get to work with four different classes, which means I'll get to observe four different teaching styles and be the only member of the first grade team who knows the names of all 80 first graders (I think I'm already 3/4 of the way there!) I've gotten to sit in on three classrooms so far, and can't wait until I've met all of the students.
Working with such a young age group has many benefits: their enthusiasm for learning, their love of their teachers, their impressionability. My favorite part about working with such age groups is listening to what they have to say, whether to me, another adult, or other children. Here are some of the things they've said so far:
-"Teaching the teacher...that's quite silly!"-When told that she would get to teach the teacher about hamsters
-"I take voice lessons too! Do you sing the song 'Do re mi fa so la ti do?'"
-"Can you imagine if the sky was purple?"
-"Who's the boss? You or Miss Byrne?" -asked to me by a student in Miss B.'s class

It's only been three days. I adore the first grade team (we had a group hug on Friday!). I keep hearing that this class is especially exceptional in behavior and academics. Is this too good to be true? All I know is, I'm going to enjoy it while I can. I can't wait to hear more first grader ideas and observations!

2 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you will be a very important part of t heir learning experience - so do be careful when saying things off the top of your head...they are so impressionable and their interpretation will be incredible, I'm sure. You go girl - your Aunt Carrie was one of the best 1st grade teachers ever and many of them in their 20's and 30's came to pay her their respect when she passed away. She would be so proud of you. love Nana

 
At 9/29/2006 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I envy you "big time" Tori. You made the right decision going there. I just hope it won't be too hard to come back home. Your mom is probably soooo proud of you and your eagerness to experience life in a big way. I know I am. Enjoy your time because I'm sure it will be an experience that will last your lifetime. Luv Aunt Arlene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home