Monday, January 19, 2009

Culmination

My arms are still riddled with goosebumps as I recover from watching Martin Luther King Jr's speech replayed today. It is a speech that most of us can quote at least portions of, and that we have heard referred to countless times. But tomorrow, for the first time since this man has had a holiday commemorated after him, will feel almost like a culmination. It took over 45 years, but look what has changed. Look what has become. Watching Barack Obama speak in front of the Lincoln Memorial yesterday was almost absurd with symbolism. A black man, on the virge of becoming the first black president, stands on the spot on which one of the most important moments of the Civil Rights Movement took place, in the shadow of the figure who was responsible for freedom to begin to become a possibility for black citizens of our country.

And although I miss Brussels often, being here as an active citizen during this unprecidented event in history, I feel so grateful I have been here while it transpires. For the first time I was able to vote on Election Day (my first vote had been an absentee ballot in college) and cry while watching the world react to the news of Obama's victory and see our country swell with pride again for the first time in a long time and, tomorrow, watch with bated breath while he is sworn in.
Here is the speech for anyone who feels like reviewing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUtL_0vAJk

And here is a fun fact: the most memorable part of the speech, during the second half when MLK first refers to his "dream," is completely adlib. He is making it up on the spot.

And, politics aside, I have another exciting update: There are less than 3 months until I visit Brussels this spring! I can already taste the frites...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home