Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Turning 23...London style

23...it just sounds so much older than 22. The first time I had to actually say my new age was Sunday on the tube in London when we met another American who asked what we had done the night before. I told him I celebrated my birthday. And when he asked how old I turned, I took an extended pause as I had to actually think about my response, "23."

London turned out to be relaxing and beautiful. We spent the day Saturday walking through Portabello Market and along the River Thames and then spent the evening going out to eat, watching the musical Wicked, and going out to a few of London's pubs. The highlight of my entire weekend was the musical performance of Wicked. The musical would have been wonderful on its own, but we were lucky enough to be in the presence of Idina Menzel who played the original "Wicked Witch" when Wicked came to broadway. It is her voice you hear on the soundtrack and her voice which contributed to Wicked's undeniable success. I found myself crying, laughing, putting my hands up to my face, and just altogether in disbelief that I was so fortunate to see her perform.

Sunday was spent doing more walking, watching a 10k race between North and South London in Hyde Park, and shopping near and in Harrod's, the shopping landmark of London (made up of clothing and accessories by the world's most renowned designers). I made one purchase in Harrod's (granted it was lipstick) but felt just a glimpse of glamour walking through the streets carrying my Harrod's bag. Ooh la la!

Altogether another great European getaway. I'm think I'll be taking it easy on the traveling for the next couple weeks, as fall break is just two and a half short weeks away when I will be traveling around Eastern Europe and I will need some down time to be refreshed!

On a less happy note, my dear friend and travel companion, Megan, will be headed back to the States this weekend as it will be the end of her student teaching practicum. I'm going to miss her terribly but am just so glad she got to be here at all.

Until next time...
Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home