Monday, May 28, 2007

Florentine Frescoes

One of the benefits to working in international schools, in Europe especially, is the accessibility to other countries and the opportunities for field trips to those other countries. So, during the 6th grade unit on the Renaissance, it is only appropriate to transport 130 sixth grade students and 20 chaperones to the city of Florence, the Renaissance mecca. I was fortunate enough to be one of those chaperones, and had the most amazing time exploring the city and all of its museums and discovering a new appreciation for art I only would have acquired by being with students whose enthusiasm for the art was contagious. I learned so much, and am still not sure how I was lucky enough to go (I was accepted to help chaperone even before I applied for the 6th grade position next year). At almost every museum the classroom teacher I accompanied had the students stop and write down something in their journals, either questions that had to be answered or a sketch or just something memorable they'd like to take note of. At each of these opportunities, I, too, wrote down some thoughts I was having at the time. So here you go, some excerpts of my Florentine thoughts.

Sunday, 20-5-07
I'm in Italy. I am so infatuated with this city, in fact, that I haven't yet thought, "Oh, I was I was here with friends rather than sixth graders." Maybe it's because the teachers and students with whom I am traveling are fantastic. Maybe it's because we're about to eat Free, Delicious Dinner #1. Whatever, the reason, I am so excited for this week. What a great feeling it is when it's just the beginning of something I am so excited for!

Monday, 21-5-07
Sipping Tea in Florence
Here I am at a cafe in Piazza San Marco. It is my morning off and, besides getting a bit turned around at the Duomo, it has been absolutely "perfecto." Walking, shopping, tea, writing...what an ideal way to spend a morning in Florence.

Frescoes in the San Marco
The children have been asked to draw a picture of something that inspires them, much like the frescoes inspired the monks that lived in the cells in which they were painted. What would I draw?

Singing in the Piazza Signori
What a fantastic evening! What started as an opportunity for those in the strings to earn some extra credit turned into a mini-medley of spontaneous tunes, including such songs as I Like to Move it, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and American Pie. Those who I have pegged as shy even became enthusiastic, either to sing or while their friends were singing. We might do the same thing tomorrow evening, but there is always something more memorable and special about the unplanned.

Tuesday, 22-5-07
An Appreciation for Art
What has been a pleasant surprise for me this trip is my newfound appreciation for art and the story behind the piece.

Donatello's Magdalena
I am actually shaking and jittery after having seen this piece of art, probably especially after hearing the children's reaction to it (one of the girls said that in the sculpture, Mary Magdalene looked like she had a heavy burden and regret...and this was before she even knew the story from the bible). And thank goodness we had the room practically to ourselves for a while! It's crowded now, and it's always more difficult to soak in an experience when you feel rushed to move to let someone else in. I am so grateful to have this experience, especially in the presence of children whose observations and interpretations are always incredible to me. How fortunate I am that I get to use this experience to influence my teaching next year, that I have been able to see this city that reeks of the Renaissance influence and is sprinkled with its remnants.

Wednesday, 23-5-07
Inspiration to Learn
Because of this trip, now, more than ever, do I find myself craving any education material I can get my hands on. I just want to learn! One of the reasons I enjoy this profession is being able to teach children what I know. After this trip I just want to know more! Oh, how I crave the acquisition of knowledge!

Thursday, 24-5-07
Florentine Tea: Take Two
La la la. Here I am back at another cafe. I feel the most European when I'm sipping something outside at a cafe.

Friday, 25-5-07
Ciao to Firenze
I am sitting here in Piazza Signore about to sip on my last Florentine tea. I chose this spot, even though it is overpriced, because from where I am sitting I have the perfect view of the steps on which my favorite part of the trip took place. Minus the swarms of tourists in the square, this is the perfect way to say "ciao" to the city that has caused so much inspiration for me this week. I'll top the week off with a cone of gelato and then be on my way. Ciao Bella!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home