Monday, October 23, 2006

Once an American...

Since I've been here, I've found that some of my little mannerisms, sayings, and overall habits have changed. I wear scarves almost every day as an accessory, am an expert on taking public transport, dress up to go anywhere (back at Luther, this time of year was when I would wear a sweatshirt and jeans 5 days of the week), and say things like "I quite like that last bit" or "Hannah, that's brilliant!" or "You've made me quite cross" (the last one least often than the rest). I haven't driven a car, watched TV, been to a movie theater, or eaten a cheeseburger in the last 2 and a half months. I am used to paying between 2-3 euro for a cup of nonrefillable coffee/water/pop, constantly watching where I'm walking for fear of what I might step into (have I mentioned that dog owners don't pick up after their dogs?), and not being able to eavesdrop on conversations or understand what most things are on a menu. And while on some level, I am grateful for all of these things, because they mean I'm in Europe and am starting to feel more like a "European," after this weekend, I realize now more than ever that deep down I will always be an American. One of my friends from back home who is living in the UK right now came to visit, and we found ourselves reminiscing about what we miss about home and some of the first things we would do when we come back. My list of what I miss about the States includes the following:
-Singing in the car
-Knowing exactly where I can go to buy items like a tablecloth, hammer, or camera battery and needing only a 5-10 minute drive to get there
-Cozying up in front of the TV for an episode of one of my favorite shows
-Renting a movie for longer than one night
-Wendy's dollar menu
-Skim milk
-Not feeling guilty for speaking English
-Coffee-to-go
-Service with a smile (it's taken me a while to grasp that the customer is NOT always right in Brussels)
-Common courtesy. The phrase "No, after you" (even in French) will never be heard here.
-Not feeling weary about telling people where I come from (the reactions have not always been positive...a little different from last year)
-Huge, greasy breakfasts

Yet even with all of these, I would never change my mind about my decision to come here. This experience has been one of the greatest things I've ever had, and it's still only the beginning. I love Europe and adopting some European habits, but I will always be an American, and love to be American, even when I do find things with which I don't always agree. It's dependable, and it's my home.



PS: And what I miss the most, by far, is my wonderful family. Thanks for being such avid readers. I love you.

1 Comments:

At 10/23/2006 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,

Great Post. We are very proud of you and love reading your blog every week. I can't wait to see you at Christmas.
Love you lots
Miss you more.

Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home